Monuments of Salamanca (V)

Orellana Palace

This palace was built in the end of the XVIth century. Its decoration is limited to an alternating series of triangular and rounded gables over the windows on the first floor. This rather cold architecture, talking about Salamanca, suggests Herrarian influences.

Abrantes Palace

This XVth century tower was ordered to be erected by the Catholic Kings in order to show that they would brook no opposition from the nobility.

Monterrey Palace

This is considered by many to be the Spanish Renaissance palace of excellence. Designed by Rodrigo Gil de Hontañón, work began in 1539. Whilst the lower section is almost totally devoid of ornamentation, a line of windows with typical decoration of the time is symmetrically set into the long top-floor gallery. Nowadays, the building belongs to the House of Alba.

Calatrava College

This college was created by the Knights of Calatrava (XVIth century) when the university was at its peak. Work on the building began in 1717 by Joaquín de Churriguera in Baroque style but later ensued changes into neoclassical style have vested it with certain coldness.

Casa de las Muertes

The ‘House of the Dead’ is truly an excellent sample of XVIth century Salamanca Plateresque style. This place, which was home to the architect Juan de Álava, possibly gained its name from a local legend that not only whispers the murder of a priest by the family but also when the foundations were being dug up headless bodies was found. Rumours have it that the bodies were those of the Manzano brothers, who were ordered to be decapitated by María la Brava, a very well known story in Salamanca.

Church of the Immaculate Conception (la Purísima)

The sight of the enormous dome of this church built by Fonseca and Zúñiga, is simply magnificent. Curving over the cruciform ground plan of one of the greatest Baroque churches is its massive central dome. It collapsed in 1657 and had to be rebuilt some years later. The high altar retable is dominated by José de Ribera's painting of the Immaculate Conception.


San Martin Church

This church was constructed by the first Christian reconquerors to arrive in the city. It has a traditional ground plan consisting of a nave and two aisles, with pointed barrel vaulting over the nave and groin vaulting over the aisles. The relief on the Bishop's Door depicts St. Martin tearing his cloak

[ pag. 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 ]

Academic year in Spain Enrol Spanish courses Price calcultator